This road is named after the airstrip which was constructed in Pitt Town, New South Wales during World War II as an ancilliary landing ground to the RAAF Base, Richmond. Other airstrips were constructed in the Hawkesbury District at Castlereagh and Marsden Park. Very little evidence of these airstrips may be found on the ground today.
From the 1950s to the 1970s the Hardie-Ferodo company, a subsidiary of James Hardie Industries saw the potential of the long and level expanse which was the old airstrip runway at Pitt Town to establish a testing ground for various brake products it was developing. The company had a great interest in motorsport and sponsored classics such as the Bathurst 500, then Bathurst 1000 from 1968 to 1980.