Joseph W Allison took over the pharmacy located at 257 Windsor Street Richmond in February 1890 from Mr Hawkins and made several improvements to the premises including a very attractive ‘dentist’s room’. The local newspaper advertised Mr Allison as a pharmacist and ‘surgical and mechanical dentist’. He was famous in the town for introducing nitrous oxide (known as ‘laughing gas’) as an aid to pain free dental treatment. In 1897 a soda fountain was installed ‘providing a refreshing and invigorating ice drink for dusty travellers at any hour of the day’. Joseph’s son William Rippon took over from his father and the advertising sign painted on one side of the building may still be seen (August 2013), although partially obscured by the building of the Victorian Arcade.