Anschau House, located in Ross Street, Windsor NSW was built c. 1916 as a family home by Francis Bernard Anschau who owned the Peninsula Tannery on the bank of South Creek. This prosperous business had been established in by John Scurr Busby in the 1860s employing over a dozen people by the 1890s. The business was acquired by Anschau in 1906 who was born in 1870 in the Luddenham district of NSW, the son of Joseph and Bridget Anschau. In 1910 Anschau married Beatrice Gascoigne and the couple had two children, Frances and Mona. Anschau became a wealthy and successful businessman and took the family on numerous holidays. He also purchased his first motor car in 1910. Over the years he owned amongst others, marques such as Vauxhall, Benz and Rolls Royce. Anschau was a keen member of the Windsor School of Arts and the Hawkesbury Benevolent Society. He died in 1958 aged 85 years and was buried in the Field of Mars Cemetery, Ryde NSW.
The building is listed Hawkesbury City Council as a Heritage Item.
See also Anschau’s Estate - [https://www.hawkesbury.org/name/anschau-estate.html]
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published