Bakers Lagoon is a small body of water located on the southern side of the Hawkesbury River near Cornwallis, it drains into Hawkesbury River via Cooley Creek and was reputedly named after William Baker who farmed land in the viscinity.
Excerpt from Parish of Ham Common, County of Cumberland 1958.
The lagoon encompasses privately owned portions of land and the area was identified as a bird sanctuary by the NSW government in September 1905 and was notified in the NSW Government Gazette in 1905. The protection was for a period of only three years.
Excerpt from the NSW Government Gazette, 1 September 1905.
The lagoon was again proclaimed a bird and animal sanctuary in 1936 under the Bird and Animal Protection Act (Amendment) 1930 - http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/num_act/baapa1930n12378.pdf
The original act may be found at http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/num_act/baapa1918n21298.pdf
The notice appeared in the NSW Government Gazette on 14 February 1936 but it does not state the period for which the sanctuary applies.
Excerpt from the NSW Government Gazette 14 February 1936.
The declaration was also the subject of a letter to the SMH by David G. Stead who was a notable conservationist who left a lasting legacy in the creation of the Stead Foundation - http://www.steadfoundation.net/david_stead
Excerpt from the Sydney Morning Herald 13 August 1936 page 4.
A lagoon about 3km S by W of Freemans Reach.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published