The first branch of the Bank of NSW (now Westpac) opened in Richmond on 29 August 1864. Initially the bank rented premises from a Mr W Price but later the same year commenced operation in one of a terrace of four shops opposite Richmond Park in Windsor Street leased from Mrs A Long at a cost of £75 per year. By 1872 the growth and prosperity of the district was reflected in the bank’s need for more expansive premises. A substantial building described by Samuel Boughton as ‘one of the oldest houses in Richmond’ was leased from Mr Joseph Onus. This building (see photo) was situated between West Market Street and Bosworth Street, the present location of Coles Supermarket and Richmond Mall.
In 1931 the bank moved to the corner of West Market Street and Windsor Street occupying the premises of the Australian Bank of Commerce Ltd (ABC Ltd, formerly Australian Joint Stock Bank). The Bank of NSW had acquired ABC Ltd and therefore did not required two branches in the one town.
In 1938 the former ABC Ltd branch was demolished and the building which houses the current Westpac Bank was constructed on the site. This structure of brick and concrete included a banking chamber and staff rooms as well as manager’s residence of four bedrooms with a front and rear balcony to the first floor. The building has been substantially modified over the years yet still retains most of its Art Deco detailing to its imposing façade. The name of The Bank of NSW was changed in October 1982 to Westpac Banking Corporation following the acquisition of the Commercial Bank of Australia Ltd.
Bank of New South Wales, Richmond NSW c. 1900. This building was located at approximately 271 Windsor Street. This located is now occupied by Coles Supermarket and Richmond Mall.
The Richmond branch was established in 1864 and occupied rented premises until 1872 (according to contemporary writer Sam Boughton in the block opposite Richmond Park) when a building was leased from Joseph Onus (Allotment 2 of Section 4 Town of Richmond) before moving to the former premises of the Australian Joint Stock Bank on the corner of Windsor Street and West Market Street (Allotment 2 Section 7 Town of Richmond) in 1931 which is the present location of the Westpac Bank (formerly Bank of NSW) constructed in Art Deco style 1938.
Westpac Bank, Richmond formerly the Bank of New South Wales was contstructed on the site of the Australian John Stock Bank in 1938. Cathy McHardy August 2013.
Mr Walters (bandmaster of the New South Wales Lancer band) has the contract for painting &c at the local branch of the New South Wales Bank, and with his competant staff of men is making quite a transformation of the building. Mr Jenkins, the architect, came on Wednesday to inspect the work, and found everything satisfactory'.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published