The original site for Pitt Town (near the present site of Cattai) was found to be too distant from the settler’s farms on Pitt Town Bottoms. Gov Lachlan Macquarie decided that the farm belonging to James Richards would be purchased at government expense for the new site of Pitt Town. The farm was one mile from the Hawkesbury River and adjoined the Bardonarang Lagoon. This new location was to be marked out in allotments by the government surveyor before settlers could proceed to build their houses.
Government Public Notice from the Colonial Secretary J T Campbell, dated 25 October 1815 and published in the Sydney Gazette 28 October 1815.