Bellevue, located in Bridge Street, Windsor, New South Wales was constructed for Senior Sergeant George Boyd in 1906/07. The land was previously occupied by the Church of England Chapel and School-house which was one of the very early colonial buildings constructed in Windsor. On the 28 October 1902 the land was transferred to the ownership of Sarah Ann Boyd, the wife of Senior Sergeant of Police in Windsor, George Boyd [see Certificate of Title Vol 325 Fol 7] According to the Windsor and Richmond Gazette, the house which replaced the old chapel was designed by noted architect George Matcham Pitt (who also designed Belmont Park at North Richmond). The house included spacious grounds ornamented with trees and was much admired in the district.
George Boyd born on 11 October 1839 in Enniskillen, Ireland and joined the NSW Police in 1863. He married Sarah Anne Manusu (daughter of Michael and Sarah) in Coonabarabran in 1877. According to George’s obituary, the couple had five surviving children, three girls and two boys. Sarah died in Windsor in 1910. When Boyd died in 1923 his obituary mentioned that the name of the house was ‘Bellevue’. It remained in the ownership of the Boyds for some years. By the 1950s it was owned by John Wesley Mitchell of Windsor, orchardist.
The Church of England School House has been recently purchased by Senior Sergeant Boyd of Windsor.
Senior Sergeant Boyd is about to erect a cottage on his land in Bridge Street.
George Boyd awarded the Imperial Service Medal
Obituary for George Boyd of Windsor.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published