In July 1960, Windsor Municipal Council published a notice of proposal to confirm the existing names of some roads and streets, confer official names on those previously unnamed or alter the names of those previously named. The advertised changes were confirmed by council in August 1960.
The unnamed road running generally south easterly from the road known as Collith Avenue, through Portions 312, 328 & 329, Parish of St Matthew [County of Cumberland] to Fairy Road - proposed name Berger Road. A period of one month from the date of publication of this notice is allowed during which any person may lodge with the Council written objection to the proposed names (or the alteration of the names). Any such objection should set out fully the reasons for the objections. Authorised by resolution of the council on 7th June, 1960. Council Chambers, Windsor, 15/7/1960 F. J. MASON Town Clerk
Often no explanation was published for changes of name nor the selection of particular names for unnamed roads but the roads were often named after local landowners, events or early European settlers. Further details may be found in the minutes of Windsor Council meetings of the period. Berger Road, South Windsor, NSW was named after Joseph Ernest Berger who operated a poultry farm in this area in the 1930s and 1940s. Berger died in March 1949 aged 63 years. Read more about Joseph Berger
Windsor Municipal Council amalgamated with Colo Shire Council to form Hawkesbury Shire Council in January 1981 and was proclaimed Hawkesbury City Council in July 1989.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published