Named after a grant of 320 acres made to Richard Rouse (1774-1852) in 1838. By this date, Rouse had many other land holdings in N.S.W., including grants at North Richmond, Bathurst, Gulgong, Warren and Wellington. In 1828 it was estimated that Rouse owned 10,000 acres, ten years before he acquired “Berkshire Park”.
Richard Rouse had arrived in Australia in 1801, aged 26 with his wife and two small children. He was born in Oxfordshire, England, adjacent to Berkshire after which Rouse probably named his tract of land.