The name for the area Brooklyn was Flat Rock, but changed to Brooklyn because that suburb of New York was the home of the Hawkesbury River Bridge builders, who also built the famous Brooklyn Bridge across the East River to Manhattan Island. The name “Brooklyn” was given to the station in 1888, and although it was subsequently changed to Hawkesbury River Station, “Brooklyn” has remained to distinguish the area. The foregoing explanation is the usual one for “Brooklyn”. However, other information shows Peter and William Fagan bought 100 acres at the site in 1881 and a plan of 29 January 1884 was for “a town of Brooklyn”. Subdivisions of some of the Fagan property were advertised as early as 19 September 1883 in the Sydney Morning Herald. As tenders for the bridge building were not called till 18 September 1884, it seems certain the name predates any association with the Union Bridge Co.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published