This private home is located at 248 Castlereagh Road, Agnes Banks, New South Wales and is visible from Yarramundi Lane. The property has been in the same family since the 1950s and continues to operate as a cattle farm until the present day. It is not open for public inspection. It is listed on the Hawkesbury Local Environmental Plan 2012 as an item of local significance.
The heritage listing for this property comprises the homestead, slab barn, well and mature trees. See https://www.heritage.nsw.gov.au/search-for-heritage/search-for-nsw-heritage/ for more information on this property.
It is locally significant as an example of a nineteenth century cattle farm providing evidence of rural industries and prosperity in the Hawkesbury River region (Criterion A.4). The homestead is locally significant as an example of a substantial vernacular rural homestead constructed of bonded face bricks which exhibits characteristics of the Victorian Regency style (Criterion D.2). The Bronte land was granted to Thomas Matcham Pitt, farmer and Hawkesbury pioneer, by Governor King in 1809 and was named after Lord Nelson’s English home.The property is also associated with descendants of the Thomas Pitt family who were settlers in the Hawkesbury region (Criterion H.1).
Property located on Castlereagh Road between Richmond and Agnes Banks, grantees were Thomas Pitt - Portion 46 (100 acres) and Mary Pitt - Portion 47 (100 acres). Additional source: Votes and Proceedings of NSW Parliament (1880-81) - Edwin Pitt listed as occupier (218 acres).
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published