The explanation often given for the naming of the locality of Brooklyn is that the name for the area was originally Flat Rock, but was changed to Brooklyn because that suburb of New York was the home of the Hawkesbury River Bridge builders, who also built the famous Brooklyn Bridge across the East River to Manhattan Island. The name “Brooklyn” was given to the station in 1888, and although it was subsequently changed to Hawkesbury River Station, “Brooklyn” has remained to distinguish the area.
However the correct origin of the name derives from early settlers Peter and William Fagan who bought 100 acres at the site in 1881 and a plan dated 29 January 1884 was for “a town of Brooklyn”. Subdivisions of parts of the Fagan property were advertised as early as 19 September 1883 in the Sydney Morning Herald. As tenders for the bridge building were not called till 18 September 1884, it seems certain the name predates any association with the Union Bridge Co.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published