The home known as ‘Camira’ was located in Fitzgerald Street, Windsor, New South Wales. Unfortunately this house no longer exists but it was located on the blocks of land now numbers 7 and 9 Fitzgerald Street. Fitzgerald Motors now occupies one of the blocks.
William Henry Hughes Becke, for many years Clerk of Petty Sessions (1873-1889) and Police Magistrate (1889-1896) in Windsor inherited the property (which at one time had been a hotel known as the Cross Keys) from the will of Windsor solicitor, Richard Coley who died in October 1889. During Coley’s tenure the building was known as ‘Bleak House’. Becke’s two daughters Ethel Isabella and Maude Adelaide then inherited the property on the death of their father in July 1910. Becke had left the Windsor district by 1907.
In December 1919 the Becke sisters sold the property to Nellie Elizabeth Cupitt for £200. In January 1928, Nellie applied for the land which was previously Old Systems Title to be converted to Torrens Title (PA29145) and for the subdivision of the land into 4 blocks. This took place and one of the blocks was sold with the residence which by this time had been renamed ‘Kamaroh’.
Miss Maude Becke was a talented artist and had an artist’s studio at Camira. The studio was described in several articles in the Windsor and Richmond Gazette for example on 28 March 1903 https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/86216915 Maude Becke was also known for her accomplishments as a singer and musician, playing the violin at various local entertainments and fund raising concerts. She was also a member of the Windsor Amateur Dramatic Club and appeared in many of their plays.
‘Mr W H H Becke, of “Camira” Windsor was an intimate friend of B Buckstone, author of the splendid farce “Popping the Question”, played by the Richmond Dramatic Company at the Hetty Holroyd concert in Richmond’.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published