The name ‘Cattai’ is derived from an Aboriginal word of unknown meaning. It was applied to “Caddie Park”, a homestead on “Cattai Farm”, owned by the First Fleet Assistant Surgeon Thomas Arndell. The homestead is now part of Cattai National Park. The name has been variously spelled as Caddie, Catta, and Catye. John Goldsmith an early settler in the area wrote that he had established a farm at ‘Cat Eye” by 1805.