Former Colo Shire Council Chambers located ijn George Road, Wilberforce.
In accordance with the Local Government (Shires) Act, 1905, the Shire of Colo (Shire no. 118) was declared into existence. As Gazetted on 7 March, 1906, Colo Shire included the following boundaries: Commencing at the junction of Wollemi Creek and the Colo River; bounded by the Colo River and Wollangambie Creek; the parishes of Wollangambie and Irvine; the Grose River; the western and southern boundaries of the parish of Nepean; the right banks of the Nepean and Hawkesbury Rivers to Wiseman’s Ferry; bounded by the parishes of St Albans, Wallambine and Lockyer; the southern watershed of Yengo Creek; the Macdonald River; bounded by the parishes of Putty, Tollagong, Sturt, Coricudgy, Jamieson, Innes and Wirraba; the Wollemi Creek to the point of commencement.
In May of 1906, the Colo Shire was divided into three ridings, in accordance with the Local Government (Shires) Act, 1905. This same Act also resulted in the appointment of a Temporary Council, whose tasks included making all necessary arrangements for the election of the first Council. Cecil S Icely was appointed Returning Officer, and the first elected Council were: “A” Riding - Arthur Charles Anderson; Edward Quinn. “B” Riding - Edward Thomas Bowd; Henry Albert Wilson. “C” Riding - James Edward McMahon; James Lamrock, who was also elected President of Colo Shire Council.
The first meeting of the Temorary Council met at Windsor Court House on 13 June 1906. The first election took place on 24 November 1906 and the first elected council met in Wilberforce at the Old Retreat Inn in Wilberforce on 6 December 1906. The council chambers at Wilberforce were constructed in 1910 and extended in 1959. Windsor Shire amalgamated with Colo Shire in January 1981 to form Hawkesbury Shire Council.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published