One of over 53 buildings mostly in the Victorian Classical style for the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Limited dating from about 1871 to 1897 by Mansfield Bros of Sydney. The company became well known for its public and commercial buildings and also undertook major residential projects such as Abercrombie House at Bathurst and Eulabah, the home of Rev James Cameron in West Market Street, Richmond. This branch of the Commercial Bank at Richmond was constructed on the corner of Windsor and West Market Streets in 1880 with additions to the Windsor Street frontage in about 1910. The site also includes stables and enclosed rear garden. The building comprises a banking chamber on the ground floor with first floor residence and rear stables. The central entrance portico is a feature of the facade and the exterior walls have a stucco finish. The windows on each floor feature distinctive decorative mouldings above each double hung sash window and heavily ornamented sills. The design embodied George Mansfield’s ideals of elegance of form and symmetry of design. No longer a bank this building now houses an antique shop and café.
This building is no longer listed on the NSW State Heritage Inventory 2016
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published