One of over 53 buildings mostly in the Victorian Classical style for the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Limited dating from about 1871 to 1897 by Mansfield Bros of Sydney. The company became well known for its public and commercial buildings and also undertook major residential projects such as Abercrombie House at Bathurst and Eulabah, the home of Rev James Cameron in West Market Street, Richmond. This branch at Windsor was constructed on the corner of George and Kable Streets in 1879. The façade features deeply recessed double hung windows with moulded arched lintels on the ground floor. Shuttered French doors open onto the first floor verandah which is adorned with iron lacework and frieze supported by Classical cast iron columns with Ionic capitals manufactured by J R Bubb of Sydney. Interior joinery is mostly original and survives in fine condition.
The Windsor branch comprises a banking chamber on the ground floor with first floor residence and rear stables. The central entrance portico is overshadowed by the first floor verandah. Exterior walls have a stucco finish. Although designed by the same architect as the Richmond branch of the bank (see Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Branch and Stables, Richmond) there are differences employed in the design of each building. In 1981 the CBC Ltd merged with the National Commercial Banking Corporation of Australia Ltd (now National Australia Bank) and in subsequent years many branches were sold into private ownership. The building still operates as a branch of National Australia Bank.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published