This shop is located at 62 King Road, Wilberforce, New South Wales and has been operating as an abbatoir and butcher’s shop since it was opened by Patrick Daley, the poundkeeper at Wilberforce by March 1890. The business was regsitered in December 1908 as Daley Brothers by Ernest Turnbull Daley and Arthur Patrick Daley.
Excerpt from the Windsor and Richmond Gazette 8 March 1890 p. 5
Over the years it has also been operated by Mr. G. Barnsley and then from 1934 by the Morrison family. It the early years, home deliveries were made around the district from the cutting cart and stock was kept cool using large blocks of ice from the works in Windsor.
The buildings have survived many floods over the years and water has reached over the level of the gutters on the roof on many occasions. Morrison’s sold the business in the 1970s and the premises continue to operate as both abbatoir and retail shop.
Water rising around the butcher’s shop in King Road, Wilberforce. The river flooded twice in that year, the highest being in August reaching over 13 metres. Cathy McHardy August 1990.
‘Wilberforce The Daley brothers have been busy this week renovating their butcher’s shop, and making the place look spic and span.’
Read more about the history of this historic shop: http://mabutchery.com/history/
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published