Brigade now known as East Kurrajong Rural Fire Service. Website: - http://www.ekrfs.com.au
Fire shed located next to the School of Arts, East Kurrajong Road, East Kurrajong.
At a meeting convened by the East Kurrajong Progress Association at the School of Arts at 8.30pm on 7 September 1950 the East Kurrajong Bush Fire Brigade was formed and the undermentioned officers were elected: -
President - W Felmingham; Captain - D Case; Secretary - A M Clever; Treasurer - A M Clever; Deputy Captain - T Druitt; Deputy Captains - J Wade, W Blair, G Douglas, D Sheppherd. The only other member present was B Wade.
Minutes of second meeting East Kurrajong Bush Fire Brigade held 26 October 1950
Moved W Blair seconded T Druitt that the secretary write to the Colo Shire Council to obtain the undermentioned equipment
Napsack Sprays - 20; Fire Buckets - 30; Water Bags drinking - 10; Fire Hose - 4 lengths; Water Tank 500 gallons - 1.
Moved D Case seconded A Teale that the boundaries of the brigade be as follows: - Comleroy road to Sackville and Glossodia to Blaxlands Ridge. The undermentioned new members were enrolled
A Teale; Eutiapi; D Packer; M Hall; J Wade; A Edwards; A M Clever; W H Felmingham
The water tank was fitted to a trailer and towed to fires behind Austin Buttsworth?s tractor.
The Brigade obtained its first truck in the 1960?s and it was housed in Austin Buttsworth?s shed.
An article in the Windsor & Richmond Gazette of 15 December 1939 indicates that the Kurrajong District Bush Fire Brigade was formed in 1939 with community representatives from Kurrajong Heights, Grose Vale, Kurrajong, Kurmond, North Richmond, Grose Wold, Comleroy Road, The Slopes, Tennyson and East Kurrajong. The official representative for East Kurrajong was M West.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published