‘Eulabah’ is located at 27 West Market Street, Richmond, New South Wales. The property operated as a hospital from 1911 until the 1990s and is now a private home.
Eulabah, West Market Street, Richmond. Cathy McHardy March 2011
The home of Dr James Cameron and his wife Eliza Bowman was designed in the late Victorian Jacobean style in 1881 by Sydney architects Mansfield Brothers.pdf who also designed the mansion Abercrombie House in Bathurst. Dr Cameron made a significant contribution to the development of the town of Richmond as well as writing an important history of the Presbyterian Church in Australia. He became minister of St Andrew’s Presbyterian Church, Richmond in 1856 and moderator of the NSW Assembly of the Presbyterian Church. His wife Eliza was the daughter of George and Eliza Bowman whom he married in 1857. Dr Cameron died in 1905 and the home was sold to George Woodhill.
Eulabah was purchased by George Woodhill in 1905. The home was sold to a committee of trustees in 1911 for a Richmond district hospital for the sum of £1,000. Funds were raised by various means such as concerts and balls. The hospital was known by various names over the years including Richmond Cottage Hospital, Richmond District Hospital, Richmond Community Hospital (from 1957) and Richmond Community Nursing Home (from 1966 until about 1990).
The home has been carefully restored and preserved and is now in private ownership.
Opening of Richmond Cottage Hospital.
Richmond Private Hospital (Yulebah), West Market Street, vol 2 fol 78 Class: Medical, Surgical, Lying-in, 10 beds (22 beds crossed out)
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published