Located at 98 The Terrace, Windsor. Home of Clara Manning, constructed in 1921.
The land on which Fairview stands was part of the original 20 acre grant to Thomas Rickaby in 1798 described as portion 21, Parish of St Matthew, County of Cumberland. The grant was known as Catherine Farm after Rickaby`s de facto wife, Catherine Smith. The land was subsequently sold to Samuel Terry and upon his death was purchased by Maria Cope, a successful businesswoman in the colony.
Cope purchased a total of 600 acres in the Windsor district from Terryâ€™s estate in 1838 including Catherine Farm and proceeded to subdivide the land from the frontage with George Street through to The Terrace including the formation of New Street. Copeâ€™s Subdivision resulted in the creation of over 40 new blocks which were progressively offered for sale.
Sale of the home and contents of the â€˜Brick Residence and Red Cedar Furnishings of Special Interest to Antique and Other Collectorsâ€™ known as Fairviewâ€™ situated at 98 The Terrace, Windsor.
The sale was to take place at one oâ€™clock on Saturday 16 May, the auctioneers J B Johnston and Co having received instructions from the Executors of the Estate of Miss Clara Manning, deceased. The house was described as being solidly and faithfully built and comprised an entrance hallway five feet wide, lounge room, three bedrooms, dining room, breakfast room, bathroom, pantry, laundry with a verandah all round. The block was sewered with electric light connected, had a frontage to The Terrace of eighty feet with wood house, fowl runs and spacious lawns. The land was still in Old Systems title at the time of sale.
The inventory of contents was recorded in great detail and it was noted that â€˜the Furnishings are mostly antique and, with one or two exceptions, made of the finest Red Polished Cedar, said to be upwards of 130 years old, and in exceptionally good conditionâ€™. The house contained a veritable treasure trove of furniture, china and the decorative arts. For example, the dining room included a carved cedar sideboard with large overmantel, a six foot by three foot cedar dining table with turned legs, a pair of gold-framed scenic oil paintings, three pairs of vases, a glass globe containing ornamental flowers and another containing fruit, to mention just some of the treasures.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published