The name Gentlemans Halt is claimed to date from exploration of the Hawkesbury River by Arthur Phillip, Governor of the British colony of New South Wales accompanied by Captain John Hunter, Surgeon White, Judge-Advocate Collins and others in June 1789. After camping for a night on Dangar Island (named by the party Mullet Island) the expedition examined Mullet and Mooney Mooney Creeks. On the last night of the trip, 13 June 1789, they camped just south of Spencer on the opposite side of the river where a flat rock enabled the party to land and unload their tents and provisions. This spot became known as Gentlemans Halt, however the exact location of their camp has not been verified.
Bowles' house was constructed in 1880 for John Bowles and his family, Gentlemens Halt c. 1960s
The first land grant in the area was 60 acres to Ward Stevens in 1831. The stone house on the south-eastern side of the peninsula was constructed in 1880 by John Bowles who ran a steamer up and down the river carrying cargo such as firewood to Sydney. The building also housed the post office from May 1884. Access to the house is now only by water but a road was constructed in the 1890s to link the various families in the area. The road fell into disrepair and is now only a rough foot track. The Ivory family laid out an orchard on a terraced hillside and at one time the community had enough children for the establishment of Gentlemans Halt Public School.
From 1 March 1884, the mail was conveyed to and from Lower Hawkesbury and Gentlemens Halt once a week. The Sydney Morning Herald newspaper reported in November 1885 that Thomas Preston had been appointed to carry out this duty on horseback for the next three years for the sum of £18 per annum. The NSW office of the National Archives of Australia at Chester Hill hold an administrative file for this post office.
Read more about the Bowles stone house - https://www.collinsandturner.com/architecture/gentlemans-halt/ The house is heritage listed by Hornsby Shire Council
Mr N Greentree has finished the new culverts on the road to Gentleman’s Halt.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published