Bar Island is at the entrance to Berowra Creek, known at one time as Goville Island but the origin of this is not known. Mrs Felton Mathew records camping at Bar Point in 1833 and mentions the island without naming it. A shoal extends across much of the river between the island and Bar Point and this hazard would have been familiar to early navigators of the river suggesting that the name is an old one. The island was surveyed in 1871 by Surveyor C.M. Pitt Jnr.