Gronos Point is located on the northern bank of the Hawkesbury River and at the end of Grono Farm Road, Wilberforce, New South Wales. The area is named after Captain John Grono, a notable Hawkesbury boatbuilder and landowner who came to the colony of NSW with his wife Elizabeth and children in 1799 aboard the HMS Buffalo and died in May 1847. He and his wife were buried in Ebenezer Churchyard having played an important role in the establishment of the church.
Operating a very successful business he amassed considerable wealth by the time of his death. Some of the ships which were constructed in Grono’s Hawkesbury shipyard include: Elizabeth, named after his wife and constructed in 1821, Industry in 1826, Australian in 1829 and Governor Bourke in 1833. The largest of these were the Australian of 270 tons and the Governor Bourke of 200 tons. His farm on the point was known as Grono Park. He also made exploratory voyages to New Zealand and is credited with the naming of several locations on the South Island.
A locality about 3 km NNE of Pitt Town.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published