Date of Opening: 1/01/1884 Date of Closing: present day
The first Post Office at Grose Vale was established on 1 January 1884 with Mrs Martha Mary Kennedy as the non-official Postmistress. The first member of the Hough family to be appointed was Eleanor Hough (nee Watts) wife of Roland Hough on 7 July 1908.
The next Hough was Vera Beatrix (Trixie) Hough (wife of Lewis Ezzy) from 7 November 1924. Then came Vernon Hough from 12 April 1927. Rita Hough took over from him 2 November 1942. Rita was the Postmistress until 2 February 1964 a period of 22 years. Members of the Hough family had the Post Office continuously from 1908 until 1964 a grand total of 56 years.
Rita Hough lived for her Post Office and was on duty day and night with the telephone exchange. In 1964 she retired from the position and the office was moved to Duffy’s. Sadly she died 3 years later in 1967 when she no longer had her beloved Post Office.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published