In July 1960, Windsor Municipal Council published a notice of proposal to confirm the existing names of some roads and streets, confer official names on those previously unnamed or alter the names of those previously named. The advertised changes were confirmed by council in August 1960.
The road (known as Harkness Road) running generally north westerly from road known as Commercial Road between Portions 142 and 145 Parish Pitt Town to the road known as McKeevers Road - proposed name Harkness Road. A period of one month from the date of publication of this notice is allowed during which any person may lodge with the Council written objection to the proposed names (or the alteration of the names). Any such objection should set out fully the reasons for the objections. Authorised by resolution of the council on 7th June, 1960. Council Chambers, Windsor, 15/7/1960 F. J. MASON Town Clerk
Often no explanation was published for changes of name nor the selection of particular names for unnamed roads but the roads were often named after local landowners, events or early European settlers. Further details may be found in the minutes of Windsor Council meetings of the period. In this case the origin of the road name is known.
The name Harkness Road was in use from at least the 1930s and was named after Samuel William Pearson Harkness, a successful poultry farmer in the Vineyard and Oakville districts for many years. Harkness was born in Scotland and came to NSW in about 1885 with his wife Caroline Mary (Williams). The couple’s property in Harkness Road was named Jesmond Poultry Farm. Samuel died in 1935 aged 80 years. Read more about Samuel William Harkness Caroline died in July 1944 aged 86 years.
Harkness purchased two blocks of land in the Parish of Pitt Town, County of Cumberland by Conditional Purchase being Portions 143 and 144. Each had an area of were 41 acres each. Portion 144 was purchased in January 1897 and Portion 143 in April 1901. The purchase price was £2 per acre. After satisfying the conditions associated with the purchase, the first certificate of title was issued to Samuel Harkness for Portion 143 in September 1928 (see Torrens Register Vol 4184 Fol 221).
In January 1936 this portion became the property of auctioneer Henry Saundercock of Parramatta (after the death of Samuel in 1935). Samuel also gained title to Portion 144 in September 1928 (see Torrens Register Vol 4184 Fol 222). Portion 144 also became the property of Saundercock in 1936. Over the years both properties have been subdivided several times. For example DP577668 was a block divided from Portion 144 in 1975.
Windsor Municipal Council amalgamated with Colo Shire Council to form Hawkesbury Shire Council in January 1981 and was proclaimed Hawkesbury City Council in July 1989.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published