The Hawkesbury Dairy Company Factory or the Jersey Butter Factory as it became known was opened by Lord Jersey on 24 August 1892. The day was one of celebration for the citizens of Windsor including children from surrounding schools with the factory being opened by the Governor of NSW, Lord Jersey who arrived in Windsor aboard a special train dedicated for the purpose. The town was decorated with two festive arches composed of foliage and ferns erected over the roadway, one near the railway station and the other at the post office corner. Following the opening ceremony a banquet was held in the Church of England Hall [New Street, Windsor]. Later the factory produced condensed and powdered milk under the ownership of Australian Milk Products Ltd but the factory was one of two which closed following the absorption of the company by Nestles and Anglo Swiss Condensed Milk Co (Australasia) in December 1921.
In 1926 part of the land owned by the Australian Milk Products Limited was sold to Sydney firm Peacock Jam Company Limited and Oakleaf Preserving Company Limited.
Article on the visit to the Hawkesbury by Lord and Lady Jersey noted that the factory in Windsor was now defunct.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published