Located at 245 Windsor Street, Richmond NSW
Daniel Holborow a storekeeper of George Street, Sydney bought this store from William Bowman and Stephen Field at an auction in April 1862 for £1270. He set the shop up as a draper and mercery business managed by his 22 year old son William Hellier Holborow. Ownership of the business was transferred to William in 1871. He became very involved in town affairs serving as mayor in 1874 and from 1878-1880 and was responsible for the establishment of the Richmond Volunteer Corps in 1867. With Andrew Town he was instrumental in the revitalisation of Hawkesbury District Agricultural Association in 1879. Carrying on the business in Richmond for over forty years Holborow died at Ashfield in 1917. The building is a rare example of a two-storey 1850s Georgian brick house to which has been added a mid-19th century shopfront. It is substantial ly intact and all the original moulded timber shop front details remain right across the facade complete with original double front panel door.
‘Mr Harry Pitt, formerly of the firm of Dick Burrows, is now managing the grocery department of Messrs Holborrow & Co’s establishment at Richmond’.
‘We hear that the business of Messrs Holborrow and Co is to change hands, Messrs Holdsworth and Simpson, of Sydney, being the purchasers’.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published