The first title holder to this portion of Richmond bounded by Windsor, ‘Toxana’, Francis and Paget Street was Charles Henry Chambers in October 1841. The block remained intact until Toxana Street was created and the portions of land fronting Toxana Street were subdivided and offered for sale as the Toxana Estate in November 1906. The sale was ordered by the executors of the will of the late Rev James Cameron. Part of the land was mooted as a possible site of a cottage hospital for Richmond but this never eventuated. The house known as ‘Jerendine’, occupying the corner position, was constructed about this time. This early twentieth century cottage has an asymmetrical facade with projecting gables to the front and side, linked by a return verandah. The bullnose iron roof is supported on paired timber posts resting on low brick piers.
Article detailing the finding of an old well in the grounds of Jerendine which is located on the corner of Windsor Street and Toxana Street, Richmond.
Prior titles 5380-11 & 1865- 89. Part of Allotment 2 of Section 11 Town of Richmond, Crown Grant to Charles Henry Chambers dated 19 October 1841.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published