Located at 93 Windsor Street, Richmond, New South Wales this large two-storey home was constructed in 1893 for Benjamin Richards, owner of the Riverstone Meat Works. Later the building and grounds were purchased by the NSW Department of Education for the use of Richmond Rural School. The house was demolished in 1955 and now only the gate posts survive on the front alignment of Richmond Public School marked with the name of the house. It is thought that Richards named the house after his favourite racehorse.
The house was beautifully constructed with decorative interior fittings, cedar joinery and formal laid out gardens. It was the jewel of Windsor Street.
Kamilaroi in Windsor Street, Richmond built for Benjamin Richards in 1893. From the collection of the late Mary Avern
From the Richmond news column:
Mr B Richards' residence is close upon being completed, and, with the recently erected Presbyterian Manse, quite sets off the “Common” end of the town.
Read the obituary for Benjamin Richards who died at Kamilaroi in March 1898.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published