Prior to the erection of the Kurmond Methodist Church in 1936, services were held in the home of Mr & Mrs H L Stephens [who occupied a Soldier Settlement block in Longleat Lane now Longleat Road]. A service was held in the Stephens? home each Sunday evening and a Sunday School was established under the guidance of Dr T H Harrison. The size of the congregation soon outgrew the accommodation provided by Mr and Mrs Stephens who generously decided to provide a portion of their land for the erection of a church building.
Dr Harrison oversaw the organisation of the construction which was achieved by voluntary labour. Funds for the purchase of materials were provided by the Home Mission and Property Department of the Methodist Church. The plans and specifications were prepared by Mr Roy Bennett, head carpenter at the Hawkesbury Agricultural College, Richmond.
Construction of the building took place over two days commencing on Saturday 12 September 1936 and concluding the following Saturday. About thirty volunteers including carpenters and students from the College as well as local helpers worked on the project. The building measured 30 feet by 28 feet and included a verandah on one side for kindergarten work. The building of the church was an excellent example of community initiative and co-operation.
The Methodist, 17 October 1936
The opening ceremony took place on Saturday 3 October at 2.30pm. The address was delivered by the Chairman of the District, Rev J H Sommerville, and then the door was ceremonially opened by Mrs Stephens. Rev W T Dyer referred to the generosity of Mrs Stephens in donating the land for the building and her close association with the church while Services and Sunday School were held in her own home. A number of musical items were presented by the Sunday School children under the guidance of Mrs W Golding.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published