In July 1960, Windsor Municipal Council published a notice of proposal to confirm the existing names of some roads and streets, confer official names on those previously unnamed or alter the names of those previously named. No explanation was given for changes of name nor the selection of particular names for unnamed roads but the roads were often named after local landowners or early European settlers. The advertised changes were confirmed by council in August 1960.
The unnamed road running north easterly from Windsor Road, within Portion 58, Parish St Matthew (County of Cumberland) to Old Hawkesbury Road - proposed name Latona Avenue. A period of one month from the date of publication of this notice is allowed during which any person may lodge with the Council written objection to the proposed names (or the alteration of the names). Any such objection should set out fully the reasons for the objections. Authorised by resolution of the council on 7th June, 1960. Council Chambers, Windsor, 15/7/1960 F. J. MASON Town Clerk
In February 1958, Cyril Latona who owned land in this area applied to Windsor Municipal Council to erect a service station along Windsor Road.
More Service Stations The Windsor Council at its February meeting’ received two more applications for permission to erect service stations. An application by Cyril Latona, Windsor Road, Vineyards, was referred to the Cumberland County Council for approval. The works committee reported having considered an application by Mr Pappas for a station in Windsor Street, Richmond, and recommended it be granted.
Windsor Municipal Council amalgamated with Colo Shire Council to form Hawkesbury Shire Council in January 1981 and was proclaimed Hawkesbury City Council in July 1989.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published