Lower Portland Methodist (now Uniting) Church was advertised for sale together with the parsonage in 2010.
25 May 1934, pp 1, 2.
On the 25 May 1934 the Windsor and Richmond Gazette reported on the golden jubilee of the Lower Portland Methodist Church. Fifty years previously the foundation stone had been laid on 20 May 1884 by Mrs Somerville, wife of the minister at the time, Rev James Somerville.
The church was constructed of fine Hawkesbury sandstone which had been quarried nearby. The W & R Gazette commented that even though the structure was fifty years old it looked as good as when it was first erected. The stonework had been recently tuck-pointed inside and out to approve the building's appearance.
Distinguished guests at the celebrations were drawn from the wider community and included representatives from other local church denominations as well as the Premier of NSW, Mr Bertram 'Tubby' Stevens. Celebrations on the day included a special service, a sports afternoon and an evening concert held at the Lower Portland School of Arts.
The church was very fortunate to have in attendance Mrs Somerville who had laid the foundation stone with a silver trowel in 1884, the first organist Mrs Mercer and the first child baptised in the new church who was now 50 years old as well.
The church had taken five months to construct and the opening service was conducted on 12 October 1884 by Rev Joseph Woodhouse and Rev W G Taylor. The statement of accounts was present to the those assembled and there was an overwhelming response to the call for funds to be contributed to pay off the outstanding debt. Sufficient was raised to allow the purchase of other items needed by the church such as a new organ, pulpit and Bible.
pp 58, 59.
The district minutes of 1845 reported that George Everingham had donated land at Lower Portland for the building of a chapel which was erected the same year at a cost of Â£70. In 1848 it was stated that the building was of weatherboard and improvements such as a ceiling and windows had been made. After the next tea-meeting it was expected that the congregation would be free from debt.
After a few years the building was in need of replacement and again the congregations of the Hawkesbury district banded together to provided sufficient funds for the purpose. The new stone building was completed in 1884 at a cost of Â£400.