According to Ruby Ramm (lifetime resident of Maroota), in her recollections “Life at Lansdale”, it is an Aboriginal name meaning “much water”. It was first mentioned in 1827. There are a multitude of springs in the area, the largest of which was estimated in 1970 to make 90 million gallons of clear water each year.
A locality south of Wisemans Ferry. The name was mentioned in 1827. It is probably Aboriginal but the meaning is unknown. A traveller in 1827 commented that this area was quite unsuited to settlement: ‘Without so much soil on the sandstone as would grow a cabbage, no population could be maintained. It would no doubt be desirable to have a half-way house between Best’s and Wiseman’s to shelter and refresh the weary traveller; but more than this can hardly be hope for centuries’. Thomas Best was granted land in the Dural area in 1819. His inn was located about three kilometres from St Jude’s church in Dural. Maroota was proclaimed a village in February 1892.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published