Meroo, located at 105 The Terrace, Windsor, New South Wales was constructed in the Californian Bungalow style in 1926 for Albert and Grace Smith. The couple earnt a living from farming, firstly in the Yarramundi district and then in the Cornwalis area situated on the lowlands between the towns of Windsor and Richmond.
The land on which Meroo is built was part of Portion 21, Town of Windsor granted the Thomas Riccaby (sic) on 6 February 1798 by Governor of NSW, John Hunter. The land then passed through several owners until subject to a Primary Application No. 11065 by Jane Gregg. Amounting to about 56 acres the land was then divided into housing blocks by the purchaser Ernest Edrick Dargin. There were 13 lots created in April 1924 in the Deposited Plan 12710 known as Dargin’s Subdivision. The lots were advertised in the Windsor and Richmond Gazette on the 2 May 1924 to be sold on Saturday, 10 May 1924. After the day of the sale only one lot was sold but in the following two years after the sale most of the lots were purchased.
Lots 1 & 2 were purchased on 21 April 1926 by Grace Alice Smith, wife of Albert Charles Smith. Albert Smith was a well-respected and popular member of the local community and the couple moved into their new home in one of the best streets in Windsor in January 1927.
In January 1929, Smith was killed in a tragic accident when a De Havilland Cirrus Moth aeroplane from the nearby RAAF Base at Richmond crashed on his Cornwallis farm killing him instantly.
On 22 January, 1936 the home was sold to Windsor Solicitor John Moore Ross and his wife Beatrice Ella Faulkner Ross who owned the property until August 1961. The house was named by Ella Ross after her home in Homebush, NSW.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published