Milkmaid Reach Crown Reserve is located on Riverside Drive, Webbs Creek, New South Wales on a stretch of the Hawkesbury River formerly known as Milkmaid Reach, about 2 kilometres upstream from the town of Wisemans Ferry. In October 1975 the name was officially gazetted as Bathurst Reach under the terms of the Geographical Names Act NSW 1966. This small reserve of about 4 acres lies within the Parish of Wonga, County of Hunter and is adjacent to Del Rio Riverside Resort.
The portion of land was first reserved from sale for the purposes of public recreation on the 22 January 1908.
Although the origin of the name is unknown, this stretch of the river was known as Milkmaid Reach as early as 1803 when the Sydney Gazette and New South Wales Advertiser recorded the death of an Aboriginal man at Milkmaid Reach.
In August 1831, a farm of between 30 and 40 acres on the Hawkesbury River at Milkmaids Reach ajoining the property of Rev Thomas Sharpe was advertised for lease in the Sydney Herald.
The New South Wales Government Gazette of September 1886 recorded the death of Richard Woodbury, farmer of Milkmaid Reach who died intestate on the 3 June 1867. His estate was granted to Richard Woodbury, of Wisemans Ferry, Hawkesbury River who was the eldest son and next of kin.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published