This cottage is located at 42 Bosworth Street, Richmond, New South Wales. According to the 1827 Town of Richmond Survey by White, George Mortimer (1822-1864) was already occupying this two acre block along Bosworth Street from March to Lennox Street. He gained legal title to the land in August 1841. In December 1855 nine allotments were subdivided from the block and offered for sale by auction by Mortimer’s son, also named George Mortimer. The auctioneer was George Guest, Richmond saddler and entrepreneur.
Mortimer’s Cottage, Richmond. Cathy McHardy September 2011.
Mortimer’s cottage was built in three stages from about 1841, with the two front rooms added in 1844. During renovation in the 1980s, a coin dated 1842 was discovered under the stone threshold, accurately dating the front portion of the building to this time period. The building is listed as an item of local heritage significance in the Hawkesbury City Council Hawkesbury Local Environmental Plan 2012
Part of “History’s Keepers” series of articles, this feature notes that the oldest part of the cottage was built in the 1820s and later extended in about 1841 by George Mortimer.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published