Netley Hill Post Office was located on the corner of Bell’s Line of Road and Hermitage Road, Kurrajong Hills, New South Wales. In 1925 the application for a post office had been refused but a public telephone facility was opened in the building. The office opened in 1927 under the management of Mrs Louisa Hearne and her husband Sydney Alfred ran a general store in the same building.
The Postmaster General’s Department had previously been reluctant to sanction a post office in this location due to its close proximity to Kurrajong and Kurrajong Heights. The post office closed in 1968 due to lack of patronage. The post office had been known as Netley Hill until 1938 when the name changed to Kurrajong North. In December 1971 the area was officially gazetted as Kurrajong Hills by the NSW Geographical Names Board. The old post office building still remains (2021) but is in disrepair.
Renamed Kurrajong North 1 June 1938 Date of Opening: 1/01/1927 Date of Closing: 31/12/1968
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published