Peats Bight is at the southern entrance to Berowra Creek. George Peat (1792-1870) was born in Sydney and served an apprenticeship as a shipwright. His first land grant on the Hawkesbury was 50 acres in 1836 at peats Bight. He did not live there but had a wharf and house built and a road leading down from the ridgetop near Cowan. The land was used for grazing but it also had other uses. In 1878 it was the venue for a cricket match between teams from Peats Ferry and South Colah.