Penryn Dairy (also spelled Penrhyn) was the name of a farm located at 97 Francis Street, Richmond, New South Wales. The land, described as Portion 56 Parish of Ham Common, County of Cumberland was granted to Robert Martin by Governor Gidley King in July 1804. It later passed to Richard Rouse and George Moore Rouse.
In June 1911 the property and all of it’s contents were sold off by Jane Tregoning Elizabeth Thomas, wife of Arthur Penrhyn Thomas. The name Penrhyn (or Penryn) dates from this time. The advertisement published by the Windsor and Richmond Gazette listed a variety of stock and equipments and household contents including dairy herd, several horses, cultivation and harvesting machinery and milk storage and processing equipment.
Advertisement for the sale of Penrhyn Dairy Farm which was published in the Windsor and Richmond Gazette on the 10 June 1911, p. 9.
The property of 102 acres was again listed for sale in May 1919 when it was owned by Hannah Fullerton, the wife of Windsor Medical Practitioner Dr Alexander Fullerton. The whole of the dairy herd was again for sale together with:
…all improvements thereon of Fine Cottage Residence, of 7 rooms and offices. Water laid on and connected with electric light. Very large Shed, of 100 tons capacity, 14 Bails, Carts, Shed and Stables. Large Silo, of 100 tons capacity. This is one of the best properties in the Richmond district, being only about 50 yards from the railway station, and it is safe from floods, having both low and high lands. Those on the look-out for a real good property should inspect this very valuable property.
The property was managed from the 1930s by Robert B Tate and family. In the 1950s the dairy farm was operated by Tate and Lowe who also operated a milk vending business in the area.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published