The location of Pitt Town was moved from the original site near the present locality of Cattai to the present town of Pitt Town in 1815 when Macquarie found that settlers complained of the distance between their farms on Pitt Town Bottoms and the town of Pitt Town to be too far.
One of five towns named by Governor Lachlan Macquarie at a dinner at the Government Cottage, Windsor on 6 December 1810. Pitt Town was named in honour of the late William Pitt, member of the British parliament.
The original site for Pitt Town (near the present site of Cattai) was found to be too distant from the settler's farms on Pitt Town Bottoms. Gov Lachlan Macquarie decided that the farm belonging to James Richards would be purchased at government expense for the new site of Pitt Town. The farm was one mile from the Hawkesbury River and adjoined the Bardonarang Lagoon. This new location was to be marked out in allotments by the government surveyor before settlers could proceed to build their houses.
Source: Government Public Notice from the Colonial Secretary J T Campbell, dated 25 October 1815 and published in the Sydney Gazette 28 October 1815.
William Bligh (Gov of NSW arrived August 1806) purchased three farms at what would become the village of Pitt Town. They were: 100 acres from James Simpson, and 60 acres and 110 acres from Thomas Tyler. He appointed Andrew Thompson to manage the properties as 'model farms'. Bligh's daughter planted five oak trees on the property and the trees became known as 'Bligh's Oaks'. They were cut down in 1947.
Source: 'A history of the settlement of the Hawkesbury 1794' (1994), Stubbs, p 9, 10.