https://www.hms.heritage.nsw.gov.au/App/Item/ViewItem?itemId=1740166 Portland Head Farm is located at 147 Portland Head Road , Ebenezer, New South Wales. Andrew Johnston was one of the early free settlers who arrived in 1802 aboard the ship Coromandel, most of whom settled in this area. He was granted this land measuring 90 acres on 14 April 1803.
The two storey stone house appears to have been erected after the 1811 flood when an earlier house on this land was submerged. It is also believed that the same stonemason who worked on Ebenezer Church was responsible for this building. Johnston was warning trespassers off this land in February 1819. In July 1847, Johnston mortgaged this land plus another 36 acres adjacent, and 50 acres in the District of Meehan for £800. This loan was not repaid until after his death.
Name of property owned by Andrew Johnston at Ebenezer, comprising Portions 114, 115 and 125, Parish of Wilberforce, County of Cook, named ‘New Berwick Farm’ after Johnston’s home in England, by 1860 the property was known as Portland Head Farm.
Article by Anne Bradley, Staff reporter. ‘A new life for an old colonial homestead’ Portland head Farm, Ebenezer has been purchased by the D’Emilio family. First time sold out of the Johnston family since 1803, once the grant of Andrew Johnston. Purchased at auction by Jack D’Emilio, former owner of the Royal Hotel, Windsor in 1958 for £16,700. After renovations including internal walls, floors, bathroom and kitchen, Mr & Mrs D’Emilio and family will move into their home.
Read more about Andrew Johnston and New Berwick Farm
Portland Head Farm was advertised for sale in May 1958 after being in the hands of the Johnston family for over 150 years.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published