Proclaimed Main Road no. 503 in 1945 the Putty Road, New South Wales which has been known by several other names over time, takes a northerly route of about 170kms from Wilberforce in the Hawkesbury Region to Singleton in the Hunter Valley.
In 1940, the Cinesound Productions Limited newsreel company produced a film about the construction of an important new road. The route was secret due to the information embargo during the period of the Second World War from 1939 until 1945.
The road which incidentally does not go through the small village of Putty, follows the approximate track blazed by John Howe in 1820 and has since been known as the Parson’s Road, the Bulga Road, Military Road, Singleton Road and the road to the Coal River (an early name for the Hunter). During World War Two this inland route to the Hunter Valley was redeveloped (commencing in 1939) with the various parts of the road upgraded and formed into a continuous route.
Read more about the history of the route - https://www.discoverthehawkesbury.com.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0017/143603/VIC-Putty-Road-Drives-web.pdf
Read about exploration of a route north to the Hunter Valley - https://www.convicttrail.com.au/ben-singleton.html
For information on the Putty Valley - https://putty.nsw.au/
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published