Located at 307 George Street, Windsor. Known locally as the ‘house with the lions’ this elegant home built of facebrick resting on sandstone foundations was built by Windsor monumental mason, engraver and builder, George Anderson Robertson was responsible for some of the districts most beautiful monuments. Born in about 1854 in Glasgow Scotland, Robertson was the son of John Robertson and Annie Anderson. It is unclear when he arrived in NSW however by April 1883 he had established ‘Windsor Marble and Stone Works’ located at the rear of this home he constructed for his family at 307 George Street, Windsor (now known as Raymond Villa). In 1884 he married Elizabeth Cook in Newcastle and a daughter Annie was born in Windsor in 1886.
His advertisement boasted a splendid stock of monuments and headstones in both marble and freestone, a finely grained type of sandstone. His work also included statuary as well as kerbings and iron railings. In 1887 Robertson also constructed a pair of villas known as Kialla and Zeta for Henry Powell in Francis Street Richmond to the same design. All three also feature an iron and sandstone palisade front fence. In 1891 he was awarded the commission for a set of memorial gates and palisade fencing for the jubilee of the consecration of St Peter’s Church, Windsor Street, Richmond. Later he moved his works to the rear of the block of shops next to the Windsor Catholic Cemetery further along George Street. He also established a monumental mason yard at Penrith in about 1888. Many fine examples of Robertson’s craft may be found in local cemeteries. Robertson died in August 1918 aged 64 years. His legacy of building and monumental works are a lasting tribute to his skill and industry.
Raymond Villa was later the home of Charles Ford Marden and family who kept a store in Windsor. The home retains many original features including front fence, ornate chimneys and front door with sidelights. Marden died in 1901 leaving his wife Isabella with three small children.