The Richmond Picture Theatre was situated at 114 March Street, Richmond, New South Wales, now the location of Hawkesbury Leisure and Learning Centre.
The first in the town of Richmond, the theatre was opened in 1916 by Albert Victor Grimwood who was a Windsor shopkeeper and Town Clerk of Windsor Municipal Council in 1905 serving until 1910. He then took up the same position on Richmond Municipal Council serving until 1934. In 1912 the family moved into the historic home Rutherglen in Richmond. Grimwood’s theatre boasted a ‘a powerful electric light installation.’
In October 1926, Grimwood unveiled plans to build a new brick and fibro theatre on the site in March Street. The Richmond Picture Theatre was also the venue for dances and other social functions advertising 4,000 square feet of dancing space. Following the opening of the stylish Regent Theatre, Richmond in 1935, there was fierce competition for audiences and sadly there was insuffience paying public to warrant two theatres in the same small town. Grimwood’s theatre ceased showing movies and became the Blue Danube Dance Hall.
State Records and Archives of New South Wales, Kingswood www.records.nsw.gov.au hold records relating to theatres and public halls including the Blue Danube Dance Hall from 01-01-1926 to 31-12-1970 (Series 15318 File T1368).
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published