The former Richmond Post & Telegraph Office is located at 286 Windsor Street, Richmond NSW Mail was delivered to Richmond three times per week from 1830 where the local constable would deliver it on a voluntary basis. The first post office was officially established in Richmond in 1844, with a telegraph office later operating from the railway station. In about 1870, the residents of Richmond petitioned for a new post office to be built. The new single storey building costing £1,479 and designed by Colonial Architect’s Office under James Barnet opened in October 1875. The colonnade around the building was added in 1879, with stables and other additions constructed in 1882. The original form of the ground floor suggests that part of this space was initially used as a residence for the postmaster.
In 1888 the second storey and balustrade was added to provide additional residential space, being completed by local contractor Samuel Boughton at a cost of £869. The Georgian Revival style infill of the ground floor colonnade was completed in 1906. Australia Post relocated the post office to a shopfront across the road in 1998-9.
Date of Opening: 1/01/1844 Date of Closing:
An official Post Office in the town of Richmond.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published