A pumping station was built in a tower on the banks of the Hawkesbury River in June 1910 on River Farm which was owned by Hawkesbury Agricultural College. The powerhouse at the College had a high speed engine coupled to an electric generator from which current was carried to an electric driven pump on the bank of the river about 3 miles away. In 1917 another powerful electric pump was installed to boost the water supply for Richmond. In 1928 the supply was extended to the aerodrome. Responsibility for the water supply passed to the Metropolitan Water, Sewerage and Drainage Board in 1940. The concrete tanks on the opposite bank of the river were constructed in 1929 to boost the water pressure.