Richmond Road, Windsor commences at the intersection of Forbes Street and Macquarie Street and continues through the village of Clarendon to East Richmond and to the town of Richmond where the road is renamed Windsor Street. The deviation of the road from Macquarie Street across the corner of Windsor Catholic Cemetery was constructed in 1959 [RTA information]. This reconstruction resulted in the formation of Gillespie Place.
Windsor Council had been informed by the Department of Motor Transport that the first set of traffic lights (signals) in the district would soon to be installed at the intersection of George Street and Richmond Road, Windsor. This intersection had been the scene of many accidents. The Mayor, Ald Gillespie wondered if council would be putting on a special ceremony to mark the occasion. Ald Jacob replied ‘we’ll just put on the brakes’ and there the matter rested [22 November 1967, p 21].
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published