Rickaby Street, Clarendon NSW runs from Rickabys Creek in a north westerly direction to Racecourse Road, Clarendon. Thomas Rickaby was a granted land in the town of Windsor in 1798. The previously unnamed road was named in 1960 is however not continuous and is broken by the course of Rickabys Creek only to continue again on the South Windsor side of the creek.
In July 1960, Windsor Municipal Council published a notice of notice of proposal to confirm the existing names of some roads and streets, confer official names on those previously unnamed or alter the names of those previously named. The advertised changes were confirmed by council in August 1960.
The unnamed road running westerly from George Street between Portions 284 and 250, Parish St Matthew [County of Cumberland], to Clarendon - proposed name Rickaby Street. A period of one month from the date of publication of this notice is allowed during which any person may lodge with the Council written objection to the proposed names (or the alteration of the names). Any such objection should set out fully the reasons for the objections. Authorised by resolution of the council on 7th June, 1960. Council Chambers, Windsor, 15/7/1960 F. J. MASON Town Clerk
Often no explanation was published for changes of name nor the selection of particular names for unnamed roads but the roads were often named after local landowners, events or early European settlers. Further details may be found in the minutes of Windsor Council meetings of the period.
Windsor Municipal Council amalgamated with Colo Shire Council to form Hawkesbury Shire Council in January 1981 and was proclaimed Hawkesbury City Council in July 1989.
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published