Located at 154-158 March Street, Richmond New South Wales, the two-storey Georgian sandstock brick house known as ‘Rutherglen’ in March Street was built for Joseph Onus (snr) in the 1830s. It is unusual for its time due to the irregular spacing of its twelve pane sash windows. The stone flagged verandah features an attractive undulating scalloped timber fascia and the ceiling is lined with boards.
This building was also home to Dr John Selkirk from the 1850s until about 1874. For a number of years he conducted his surgery in an adjacent building (now demolished). He also served as the medical officer for the Hawkesbury Benevolent Society Hospital in Windsor for five years from 1873.
Later ‘Rutherglen’ it was home to A V Grimwood, Town Clerk of Richmond Municipal Council from 1910 until 1934. In 1927 Mr Grimwood opened the Richmond Picture Theatre, later known as the Blue Danube Dance Hall (now the location of Richmond Senior Citizens at 114 March Street).
Read more about Rutherglen - https://apps.environment.nsw.gov.au/dpcheritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?ID=1741094
Please make your comment below. PLEASE NOTE that comments are moderated and only relevant comments will be published